The first ever Biotechnology Entrepreneurship Symposium was held on Saturday, October 3rd, 2015 at the University of Windsor, CAW Student Centre. The symposium was geared towards emerging biotechnology professionals – students with an entrepreneurial interest, future technology trend-setters and scientists who are exploring how to commercialize their discoveries (from bench to market) and existing start-ups aiming for a sustainable future. We are pleased to announce that the symposium was an overwhelming success, attended by more than 100 students, staff, and professionals who experienced informative talks from 10 active members of the biotechnology community from across North America.
To allow these budding entrepreneurs to have a chance to display their successful businesses or share their great ideas the BE Symposium had the Exhibitor’s hub where successful businesses were able to share their experiences and the Bio Innovative Solutions (BIS) Competition which allowed teams of 2-4 University or College students to present their ideas to a panel of judges. The top 3 teams presented their pitches during the BE Symposium and were awarded their prizes, $1000 for 1st place, $500 for 2nd place, and $250 for 3rd place.
The symposium also served as a networking platform where academics, researchers, industry professionals and investors met and shared their insights on technology trends, discussed career opportunities and shared stories of entrepreneurship success.
We would like to thank all of our sponsors for the first-ever Biotechnology Entrepreneurship Symposium:
- University of Windsor, Faculty of Science – BIS Competition Awards – $1900
- University of Windsor, Office of the Provost and VP Academic – $1000
- University of Windsor, Student Affairs Office – $1000 towards food
- Ontario Centres of Excellence, administered through EPICentre
The final schedule of events for the BE Symposium and the wonderful speakers that delivered the talks are included below:
- Registration 8:30 – 9:00 am
- Opening Remarks (Dr. Charles MacDonald, Acting Dean, Faculty of Science, University of Windsor) and Keynote “Creating a Biotechnology Enterprise” (Lisa Cechetto, WORLDiscoveries) 9:00am – 10:00am
- Coffee Break 10:00am – 10:15am
- Success Story from a Biotech Company (Dr. Joseph Elliot, Windsor Botanical Therapeutics Inc.) 10:15am – 11:00am
- Sustainable Biotechnology Ventures (Dr. Don Stewart, PlantForm Corporation) 11:00am – 11:45am
- Lunch, Khatak Dance Preformance 11:45am – 12:30pm
- BIS Pitch Presentations (Facilitator – Nicole Sleiman, University of Windsor, Judges – Dr. Roderick Slavcev, University of Waterloo, Dr. Michael Salgaller, Confay Group, Dr. Don Stewart, PlantForm Corporation) 12:30-1:30pm
- Panel Discussion: Grants & Federal Funding (Moderator – Heather Pratt, University of Windsor, Panelists – Dr. Michael Salgaller, Conafay Group, Vishal Gupta, Genemis, Kelly Jackson, Ontario Centres of Excellence) 1:30pm – 2:15pm
- Coffee Break 2:15pm – 2:30pm
- Patents and Intellecutual Property Rights (Mee Ling Wong and Michal Pascowicz, Dimock Stratton LLP) 2:30pm – 3:15pm
- Looking Beyond: Pathways to Employment for Biotechnology Professionals (Dr. Sean Peel, Induce Biologics Inc.) 3:15pm – 4:00pm
- BIS Award Ceremony, Closing Remarks 4:00pm – 4:30pm
Masters of Ceremonies – Dr. Michael Boffa and Dr. Tranum Kaur, Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, University of Windsor
The success of this event provides the opportunity to make this event an annual endeavor. Photographs of the event are available at facebook.com/beuwind for more information or to keep up to date with BE events please visit our websited uwindsor.ca/besymp or follow us on twitter @beuwind.