WINDSOR, ON – OMERS at EPICentre
On March 25th, EPICentre welcomed OMERS Investment Team Director Damien Steel. During the day, Damien met with MBA students from the Odette School of Business, as well as with individual members of our EPICentre incubators. The day ended with an in-class discussion on venture capital with our upper-level business students.
As part of his presentation, Damien gave the following tips on:
“What Not To Do When Pitching to a Venture Capitalist”
- DON’T ask for an NDA if you are a startup
- DON’T show up with a 50-page deck
- DON’T show up with no deck
- DON’T show up with an investment banker
- DON’T show up with prewritten terms/valuation
- DO talk about exits
- DON’T get upset when your assumptions are challenged
- DON’T lie
- DON’T use “Going viral” as a marketing strategy
We are grateful for our relationship with Damien, and look forward to seeing him again in the Fall of 2015!