The 3D Print for Healthcare Competition invited students, alumni and community members to develop an innovative healthcare device. On October 31, 2018, EPICentre hosted the Kick-off event for the competition, as a part of Tech Week YQG. Participants were able to hear more about 3D printing in healthcare, while also getting the chance to network with other participants to create their multidisciplinary teams. From the Kick-off event, participants had 1-month to come up with an idea and create a design to be 3D printed. Participants were able to 3D print their device at no cost, thanks to our 3D printing sponsors: Kelcom, St. Clair College, Pepco, & EPIC Makers’ Base.
The Final Pitch night was held at Hôtel-Dieu Grace Healthcare on December 3rd, 2018. Six teams competed for our 3 top prizes. The teams presented in front of a panel of 3 judges: Yvonne Pilon, Andreas Waller, & Danielle Friest. Each team was given a 5-minute time slot to pitch their idea and to showcase their 3D printed designs followed by a 5-minute question and answer period with the judges.
Our top prizes:
1. University of Windsor Alumni Association Originality Award – a $1,000 cash prize.
2. WEtech Alliance Innovation Award – a $500 cash prize.
3. EPICentre Empathy Award – a prize package valued at $400.
First prize was awarded to Daniel Bordenave, Founder and President of Bisep. He took home first place with his device, the ARMM (Ambulation, Retraining and Mobility Mechanism) – a device that can assist immobility and ambulation training without the need for extra staff and equipment. Second place was awarded to Cary Lucier, Founder of PillzBox – a compact daily pill case suitable for in-home & travel usage. And lastly, third place went to Ben Arquette, Co-Founder and CEO of Printable Canada. His device was created to assist individuals who have a mobility impairment.
Congratulations to all of the winning teams. And thank you to all of the teams who came out to participate in the competition! We look forward to hosting this competition again in the future.
Thank you to our event partner:
• Hôtel-Dieu Grace Healthcare
Thank you to our prize sponsors:
• University of Windsor Alumni Association
• WEtech Alliance
Thank you to our 3D printing sponsors:
• St. Clair College, Applied Research & Development
• EPIC Makers’ Base
Thank you to our judges:
• Yvonne Pilon, President & CEO of WEtech Alliance
• Andreas Waller, Business Development Manager for Ontario Centres of Excellence
• Danielle Friest, Senior Manager of Communications and Community Affairs for John McGivney Centre.